Thursday, October 18, 2012

Povi Masima (Corned Beef Brisket w/ Cabbage)



From the moment the idea of making Povi Masima entered my mind...I was already drooling during the thought process (hahaha). You see, Povi Masima is an all-time favorite of Samoa. It's made with Corned Beef Brisket and cabbage. Another way is to use Salt Beef. At first, I wanted to make this recipe with the Salt beef; However, it requires boiling the meat and draining it to boil again. The reason is to rid the salt content in the meat; Therefore, it takes hours to do on the stovetop. 

So, since this is a blog about crock-pot recipes, I couldn't do it. I needed to improvise and use the Corned Beef Brisket instead. Although, it shares the similarities of taste...the Salt Beef has more fat which gives added flavor to the Povi Masima. Now I'm here in the kitchen with my ingredients (which will crack you up when you see it.) and ready to get crockin. ( :





Ingredients:
  • 4-5 pounds of Corned beef brisket
  • 1-2 head cabbage (it'll depend on the size of your cabbage)

Directions:
  1. Preheat the crock-pot on HIGH.
  2. Cut up the meat into chunks.
  3. Place the meat into the crock-pot.
  4. Pour the seasonings (that comes with the corned beef brisket) over the meat.
  5. Pour enough water to cover the meat.
  6. Cover and cook for approx. 5-6 hours. OR on LOW for approx. 7-8 hours.
  7. Cut cabbage in half and separate the layers. Set aside.
  8. After the meat is tender...lay the cabbage atop the brisket. Cover crock-pot.
  9. Let it cook for approx. another hour and put the crock pot on warm.
  10. Enjoy your Povi Masima with Taro, Banana, or Rice. 


Cabbage and the Corned Beef Brisket



This is the Corned Beef Brisket.
Do you see that little packet? That's
the seasonings you will be using



Before cutting the meat into chunks
set the crock-pot on HIGH. 



Place the meat chunks in your 
preheated crock-pot.



Fill the water slightly above the meat.



Simply open the seasoning packet
and pour the contents over the meat



Cover the crock-pot and let it cook
for approx 5-6 hours. Just until the
meat is tender.



Layer the cabbage atop the meat
one hour before the time is up. 



Simply cover the crock-pot and let
it cook for about an hour. You just
want to steam the cabbage.



Here's my plate with Povi Masima,
Sapa Sui, and Taro w/ Coconut Milk.
Enjoy!



Oh my goodness! When the Povi Masima was ready to be eaten for dinner, my husband went to the Samoan store to buy Sapasui and Taro w/ Coconut Milk to complete my favorite of Samoan foods. I was in heaven. This dish is really simple to make and your family will surely enjoy this dish. However, it does taste even better when added to other Samoan dishes to accompany it. You would feel like you're in Samoa for a moment. I mean that's what happens to me when I eat it (Hahaha). Mind you...I have never been there (lol).

Anyways, I know I could've made my own SeVae's Sapa Sui to accompany my Povi Masima. But...I was busy running a food trivia game and monitoring the participants playing. Maybe next time...I'll even make the Taro w/ Coconut Milk, myself. I must say that even though I may not speak my cultural language...I do love the culture and grew up eating these foods. Trust me...Your family will love this dish and so will you. It makes anyone feel Polynesian, instantly. ( :

Please stay tune as our next dish will be, "Orange Rosemary Chicken."



Thank You,









0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...