Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Succulent Shredded Teriyaki Chicken


This is a recipe I actually tested and tasted months ago. I even made it for my mom's wedding reception. It disappeared so quickly I was lucky I even got a piece. Normally, it's made on the stove-top and it's absolutely mouthwatering delish. But since I started this blog...I wondered if I could make it in a crock-pot so I had to put some thought into it before my actual attempt. Honestly, I planned it all in my head to get a visual first. I'm happy to report...the answer is yes. The only difference is that the chicken will need to be shredded because the length of time to cook it---the meat will fall off the bone. Do not be weary of this because it still taste great over rice, as a teriyaki chicken sandwich, or even in a green salad. I'm positive your friends/family will be requesting you to make this many times over. Although I have made this Teriyaki Chicken recipe in the past, this is my first attempt to cook it in a crock-pot and I'm so excited for both me and you. So...I'm off to get this crock party started!


Ingredients:


  • 2 pounds skinless Chicken thighs, drummets, or wings
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4" ginger minced
  • 4 Tablespoons soy sauce (Kikkoman works best)
  • 4 Tablespoons pineapple juice
  • 1 Tablespoon rice wine *optional
  • 3 Tablespoon light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • Dashes of black pepper
Please note: You can adjust the amount of brown sugar to your preference of sweetness
  1. Drizzle the bottom of the crock-pot with sesame oil
  2. Place the skinless chicken into the crock-pot (it's okay if you have 'em stacked on each other)
  3. Cover the crock-pot 
  4. Set it on LOW to cook for 5 hours
  5. Combine all the ingredients and set aside
  6. At the end of the 5 hours. Remove chicken and remove the stock in the crock-pot
  7. Shred the chicken and remove the bones and cartilages
  8. Return the shredded chicken to the crock-pot
  9. Pour the marinade over the chicken
  10. Cover and cook for an additional hour
  11. Open lid and stir the marinade into all the pieces
  12. Turn it off and remove the crock-pot from the cooker so the cooking process stops (if not...the chicken will be dry.)

Brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, 
ginger, black pepper, mirin, soy
sauce, and pineapple juice




Remove skins from chicken thighs



Drizzle some sesame oil on the 
bottom of the crock-pot. Place the
chicken thighs inside. Cover and 
cook on LOW for 5 hours



Remove cooked chicken from the 
crock-pot and set aside.



Remove the pot from cooker and
you can either drain/strain the broth to save
 for another time OR just discard and return
 the pot to the cooker



Return the chicken to the crock-pot
and pour the marinade atop the
entire chicken. Cover and cook
for 1 hour



When the hour is up. Quickly turn
off the crock-pot and take the pot 
out of the cooker so the chicken don't
dry out. A quick stir to get the mix in.
You can literally shred your chicken if 
you didn't do it earlier. 


First of all...if you don't want to shred the chicken, you could do a rough chop into slices so it could be added to a green salad. This looks so similar to the kalua pork recipe but the taste is truly its own. This is one dish that you don't need to let the flavors settle. It's ready, willing, and able to be taken down with some rice, in a salad, or as a sandwich. I made this for my family and once again...it got wiped out! This is a definite keeper in our collection of recipes. Please stay tuned as our next dish will be Shrimp Creole.

Thank You,


508971_Magic-Stars-300x250-12

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...