Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Delicious Chicken & Sausage Gumbo


After making the shrimp creole...its no wonder why I felt the urge to try another dish from the south. This time I decided to try Chicken & Sausage Gumbo. Although, there are numerous ways of making this dish...I'm just so happy to have chosen a recipe that looked and sounded delicious after reading the reviews. The description spoken from those who tried it had me drooling with temptation which caused my eyes to tear and my mouth to water.The moment I read the requirement of spices for this dish...a feeling of redemption swooned over me for being a proud owner of so many spices in my cabinet. In other words, I finally get to put 'em to use. So...without further ado - I'm off to see the wizard as I trolley down the yellow brick road. See ya on the other end. 


Ingredients:


1/3 cup cooking oil

1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 large onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced (yellow, red or green)
1-2 jalapeno peppers
2 celery ribs, cut small
1 lb. andouille sausages, or choriso sausages or smoked sausage. (I used Kielbasa from Costco)
1 lb. shrimp (optional)
1-1/2 lb. chicken (cubed)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon Oregano
1 Tablespoon Basil
1 Tablespoon Thyme
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon  black pepper
1 Tablespoon Paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I used crushed)
4 cups chicken stock (I used chicken broth and added chicken bouillon)
4 cups rice, prepared



  1. Make a roux: Combine cooking oil and all-purpose flour in a small saucepan and heat on medium low for 15 to 20 minutes stirring regularly until it turns a chocolatey brown. Black lumps means you've burned it ;).  
  2. Meanwhile dice your vegetables and place them in the slow cooker. 
  3. Slice the sausages into discs and fry them until golden brown, add to slow cooker. 
  4. Cube the chicken and fry until no pink remains, add to slow cooker. 
  5. Pour roux over contents of slow cooker. 
  6. Add 4 cups of chicken stock to slow cooker. 
  7. Add spices to slow cooker, stir well.
  8. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours. 
  9. Optionally add cooked shrimp and heat for an additional 20-30 minutes. 
  10. Serve over a bed of rice prepared as per it's package instructions.

Onion powder, salt, flour, 
red pepper flakes, basil leaves, paprika, 
thyme, black pepper, oregano flakes, 
and jalapeno. 



Flour and oil for the roux



Celery, minced garlic, onions,
and green bell peppers



Chicken & Sausage
(I used Kielbasa)



Frozen cut Okra



Chicken broth (I didn't have
any Chicken stock on hand)
I kicked it up a notch by adding
some chicken bouillon too



Place the onions, celery,
bell peppers, garlic, and
spices into the crock pot



Add oil to the pan and fry
until no longer pink



Cook til the chicken browns



Add cooked chicken to the
crock pot



Now start frying the sausages



Fry sausages until it's browned



Add cooked sausages to the
crock pot



Pour the chicken broth/stock
into the crock pot



Mix the oil and flour to make the
roux. Cook on medium low and
stir constantly until it's a chocolate
brown for 15-20 mins.



This is the color the roux 
will look



Add the roux to the crock pot
and stir to mix ingredients
together



Add the frozen Okra to the
crock pot and stir it in to mix



Slice the jalapeno and remove
some seeds if you don't want
it to be too spicy. It's up to you.



Add the jalapenos to the
crock pot. Cover and set
to LOW for 8 hours OR
HIGH for 5 hours



Tah-Dah it's done! Serve
over hot rice or sup with
bread. No mind the picture
I grabbed a plate instead
of a bowl. Auwe ( :


This dish was unique in flavor. I guess it's because of the spices used. Once again, I'm not a fan to spicy or hot...however, this was quite sensational. I mean to the point I was convinced a heartburn was just a spoonful away. Could you imagine my surprise when it proved not to happen? The family indulged into this dish as if there were no tomorrow. My oldest daughter came home to visit and she jumped right on in to join us and was praising how delicious this dish is. 

This was our first time ever eating Chicken & Sausage Gumbo. Okay, who am I kidding? This was our first time ever eating any gumbo (laughing quite loudly). Now that you know how inexperienced I was...doesn't it make sense that I didn't place it in a bowl? (Buwahahaha!) Well...I know now and won't be making that mistake again. In fact...the next time ('cause there will be one) I will get some dinner rolls to sup the soup up. ( :

In closing...this recipe has our Seal of Approval and has been added into my collection of recipes. I'm so happy, happy, joy, joy that this worked out very well. Please stay tuned as our next dish will be Ranch Pork Chops.


Thank You,


2 comments:

Dancy Resep said...

I absolutely Love how detailed you are with every step & the pictures.... Love Love!! All those years my dad would tell me to get in the kitchen with my mom, aunties & grandma so I can learn how to cook... well, let's just say I was there to taste test & not learn haha!! So all your details I really appreciate :) I'm gonna try this one out & let you know!!

Seda Feagaiga Perry. said...

Hi Dancy! I appreciate you taking time out to check out my blog. Especially because you enjoy the details of the recipe. I love sharing crock-pot recipes with everyone; In return...I enjoy learning from others too. So...if you have a fave, feel free to share. (:
As for this particular recipe we enjoyed everything about it and I know you will too. Please let me know how it turns out. Take Care & Aloha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...